Just like our school, our students are continually growing, changing and evolving. The College Counseling Office at Tampa Prep is the ideal place for these evolving students to find encouragement, acceptance, empowerment and quite often . . . homemade cookies. We pride ourselves on the relationships formed with students throughout our four-year college counseling curriculum. Through special programming, faculty advising, and class seminars taught by staff and industry professionals, we have instilled the importance of self-advocacy, deadlines and organizational skills. By senior year, students are equipped with the knowledge and self-awareness to take the lead on the final leg of their journey to adulthood, to make informed decisions about their academic futures, and to find a collegiate environment where they will thrive.
12 Ways Our College Counseling Office Inspires Next
- Our counselors have multiple years of experience in both high school counseling and college admissions across the country. Our college counselors are members of National College Advising Boards and visit 30 college campuses each year.
- 100% of our graduates are accepted into four-year colleges, the majority with substantial scholarship awards.
- Early college awareness and readiness discussions with college counselors begin in Middle School and continue throughout high school.
- One-on-one advisement begins in grade 9 and continues through grade 12 to support all phases of the college application process and ensure informed, strategic decision-making.
- Test prep strategy sessions and practice tests available during summer and throughout the school year. A 12 week in-house test prep program is provided to all junior students during the school day to prepare them for their college testing.
- Freshmen, sophomores and juniors meet individually with their college counselors regarding course selection and college planning.
- Over 150 college admissions reps visit our campus and meet with students each year. Additionally, college deans of admissions are brought in to speak to both our students and parents about current trends and to provide advice about the college process.
- A 30:1 college counselor-to-student ratio means students and their parents get the personal support and attention they need to be confident and empowered throughout the entire college admission process.
- The College Counseling Office coordinates with the Tampa Prep English department to support a college essay writing program in the spring of junior year.
- Grade-level “College Counseling Coffees” throughout the year allow parents to get age-appropriate information on college related topics such as financial planning, college readiness, growth mindset and the college search process.
- Summer application boot camps and essay editing support are available, allowing our students to submit applications at the beginning of senior year.
- . . . and did we mention the homemade cookies?
“Some college preparatory schools prey on parents’ desires to see their children get into the highest ranked schools. The college counseling professionals at Tampa Prep helped my kids find the best schools for them. Their focus was always on my daughter–not a ranking or a survey. Both of my daughters graduated from Tampa Prep prepared to succeed in college, one at the University of Florida and one at the University of Notre Dame. As I have watched their classmates enter and graduate from college, move on to higher degrees and successful professional careers, I marvel at the foundation of academic rigor and personal growth that Tampa Prep provided.”
– Laurel Fredlake, Board Member, mother of Grace ‘09 and Hannah ‘15