Wonder makes people look up at the stars. It turns dreamers into doers. It inspired Beethoven, Dalí and Lady Gaga. And it inspires us every day. We believe the world needs the next generation of great wonderers–those who delight in designing, creating, pushing boundaries. We are Tampa Prep. And we say, wonder on, and start right here on our downtown campus.
“I discovered ceramics through my senior year 3# Project. I’m a basketball player. I didn’t know I had this artistic side. It was really a big accident. I had no idea I’d love it this much. It’s therapeutic and calming. Someday I would like to have my own studio in my house where I can do this and maybe even sell it if people like what I do.”
– Gabe S. ’20, ceramicist
Events and Performances
All at the Smith Black Box Theater
Facilities, Partnerships and Advanced Disciplines
SMITH ARTS WING
- Production suite with state-of-the-art, production-grade tools and software. Digital Video lab includes green and white screen rooms. Pro tools include camera, lighting, digital video support (Final Cut Pro X, Compressor, Logic Pro X), Black Magic Cameras (similar to cameras used to film Avatar).
- Additional gallery space.
- Soundproof rehearsal studios for band and chorus.
- Dance Studio.
- Virtual Reality IDEA lab and makerspace.
- Smith Black Box Theater (upcoming events and performances listed below).
- Professional workspaces in 2D and 3D visual arts that includes:
- 2 ceramics kilns and a slab roller plus 4 electric wheels
- 2 enamel kilns
- Oculus VR
- DaVinci 3D printer
- iPad 3D Scanner
- Glowforge Laser Cutter
- a laptop and desktop that run AutoCAD
- Light table
- 13 sewing machines
We partner with Next Generation Ballet and the Patel Conservatory at the Straz Center for the Arts, located right across the river from us. We also partner with The Florida Orchestra and The Tampa Metropolitan Youth Orchestra who performed for our students in our Black Box Theater.
We offer Arts Concentrations in the areas of Band, Film & Video, Fine Arts, Theater and Vocal Music for students who want a deeper dive into the mastery of their discipline.
Recent Arts News
- 2D Art Students Make Statements in the “Silence” Virtual Art ShowFive students in Ms. Martha DeAmbrose’s Upper School 2D Arts class created pieces for a student-based art exhibit titled “Silence.”… Read more »
- Craft & Design art students meet a unique doll designerStudents in Ms. Ashworth's Craft & Design class had a special guest speaker in class this week (via Zoom). A… Read more »
- Theater Department Honored: STRAZ Broadway Stars of the Future AwardsThe Straz Center's Broadway Stars of the Future is a Tony Awards® inspired awards showcase to honor area high school… Read more »
- Art Student Places First in Congressional Art CompetitionCaden Schmidt '21 won 1st Place - Water Media for her piece, Two Selves. This annual high school art exhibition… Read more »